When you have completed this module, you should be able to:
- Define dilution and dilution factor
- Explain why dilutions are necessary for microbial counts
- Prepare dilutions and calculate total dilution of serial dilutions
- Set up an appropriate dilution scheme to result in a countable plate
- Evaluate and interpret the results of plate counts, including selecting the appropriate plate for counting and scaling up from the diluted sample to the original population
2: Setting the stage: Diluting Cold Press Coffee
3: Working out the dilution
4: Overall dilution
5: Design a dilution scheme
6: How to scale up
7: Count a plate!
8: Why we plate more than one dilution?
9: Picking the plate to count
10: Putting it all together
12: Is the water safe?